Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Watching "Austin City Limits" in Austin

Can anything be sadder? I am not down on Sixth Street. I suspect the exigencies of this business trip will not allow that excursion.
For those who do not know, this is one of the loveliest cities I know. It is, as many of my favourites are, built on a major University, and on government. It is a civil service town. But wow! It is not Ottawa!
And it is, as most people I know who have not been here just do not get, a "water" town; driving up the main north-south freeway, I see 'fly fishing' ads. And I recall the boat my family owned at our cottage was built in Austin.
Sixth Street here is one of those phenomena, like George Street in St. John's, that it is almost impossible to explain. Here almost every one of the bars is a blues bar, and the quality is stunning. But I will never forget the night 4 or 5 years ago a friend and I walked into one facility, and were treated to utterly amazing Klezmer music, followed after a break by the most stunning Sephardic performance, a quartet of wonderful female singers;.
We knew this was not what our Canadian colleagues pictured as Texas. Pity them.
This is a glorious city. I do hope I can get out of the hotel on this trip.
Failing that, I shall watch 'Austin City Limits' on the local Austin PBS station and feel slightly diminished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home