Sunday, May 21, 2006

Expectations Exceeded - The da Vinci Code

What I had heard over the last few days left me expecting not a lot - though enough that I actually went to see the movie in the theatres.

What can I say? Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks, even with weird hair. I still wish Audrey Tautou had been Sophie Marceau. But maybe she would have had as little connection to Hanks, as well. Ian McKellen was great.

Nobody told me Jean Reno would be in it! I was so happy when he showed up. And then he sort of disappeared for most of the film, with occasional, and largely irrelevant, reappearances. But he was still a welcome force.

Overall, though, it seemed in ways better than the book (that says little). It had to be less complicated, which was good, and more visual, as a movie! It was not quite the travelogue I hoped for, but it did not put me to sleep. And it seemed almost as enjoyably goofy and ridiculous as the book.

I say go see it, but don't expect 'My Fair Lady'.

UPDATE: At the end, Langdon is staying at The Ritz!? How does he manage that? My wife is also a medieval scholar, and we won't be staying at The Ritz next week.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Carrie Bradshaw, on Sex and the City, stays in fancy hotels, eats in fancy restaurants, buys Manolo Blahniks all the time. She is a newspaper columnist. Uh, excuse me? It's called "fiction" for a reason!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home