Monday, May 22, 2006

She's Back!!

And I am thrilled.

As Hingis says:

She returned in January after nearly three years out of the game with foot and ankle injuries.

"I lived a different life and experienced a lot of things, and that probably helps me today in those moments," Hingis said.

"If I could turn back time, of course I would have continued to play. But at that point it wasn't possible - the pain and the operations. Right now, I'm very happy that my health is as good as it is."


After winning the first set in 27 minutes and taking a 4-1 lead in the second, Hingis faced three break points that would have sent the second set to a tiebreaker. But she gathered herself and served the match out.

When Safina's backhand return sailed long, the Swiss player placed her hand on her chest and took a deep breath of relief.

"I know how life is after tennis, and that probably gives me a lot of joy at these moments. I want to save them as much as I can," Hingis said.


Yes, her opponent in the finals was no superstar but she had to get by Venus Williams in the previous round. Maybe she will play on centre court at Roland Garros on the 31st. I sure hope so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home