Friday, November 03, 2006

Great News from the Waterfront

The switch back to Standard Time has permitted morning walks and runs at Ashbridge's Bay. Today was my third day in a row, and there was some excellent news this morning.

a) Yesterday I was dismayed to see only a single swan paddling about in the inner bay. I feared this was an ominous sign, but today I saw what was likely the same swan in the inner bay, and a pair of them out in what I call the outer bay. So it seems likely the solitary swan was the new generation (one survivor is not great, especially compared to last year, but it is better than the year with none).

b) The oldsquaws are back! In the inner bay I saw one, but assumed he/she could not be alone. And as I turned the corner out to Lake Ontario, I saw quite a large flock. Clearly, winter is coming.

The last two days have been wonderful cold sunny mornings. Wednesday featured clouds and slightly warmer weather. I just missed the orange in the sunrise when I took this picture:




There had been some high winds the previous days, as this shot testifies:

3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

It's no match for Stanley Park, but it is rather idyllic,and quite a mixed environment, featuring a small shingle beach, some sandy beaches, boardwalks along the water, a couple of marinas. I am lucky enough to live a little over two kilotres away from it (lucky since I moved where I was having no idea).

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Of course a kilotre is a unit of distance very close to a kilometre.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Indeed I do, despite its currently leaking roof. Never saw a reason to move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home