Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Bicycles on the Streets

I am once again now on my bicycle much more than in the past.
Toronto is now in a bit of a dither for not any good reason.
I drive a car and ride a bicycle and I know which bunch scares me more. I have had to slam brakes on for idiots on bicycles who appear suddenly and unexpectedly in my path because they are riding the wrong way and/or on a sidewalk they have no right to be on. As a bicyclist, I have tried carefully to communicate my intentions on the road and never felt threatened by a car driver. Of course, I do not try to scoot by drivers turning right or engage in any of the other common nonsense.
I continue to sit on my porch and watch bicyclists approaching the four-way stop at the end of the block. I have yet to see even one bicyclist who slows down for the intersection (except me). When one of those clowns is deservedly hit by a car, I wonder what the local media will do. I am decidedly no current fan of our bicycling 'community'.

2 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger EclectEcon said...

Back when I commuted by bicycle, I always stopped at stop signs, much to the bemusement and sometimes frustration of fellow bikers.... until the police sat at one and wrote out tickets (including points) for all those bikers for failure to stop at a stop sign.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Allan said...

I came within an inch of being knocked down the other day
when a cyclist
(a middle aged man)
came hurtling off the road
and onto the sidewalk.

These animals demanded and got a bicycle lane in our neighborhood.

They should be forced by penalty of law to stay in them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home