Sunday, June 18, 2006

Canadian Stage's Season Ends - Late Comment

Ronnie Burkett is a genius. Our 2005-2006 subscription ended with his '10 Days on Earth'.

Stories like his engage me; this is passion underlined, a kid who read at the age of 8 the entry on puppetry and managed to make a credible art form out of it. It has the same incredible romance as teh story of Baptiste in 'Les Enfants du Paradis'.

I first saw him in 'Happy' a couple of years ago. He 'knocked my socks off', and the show was a revelation. Had I been blogging then I would undoubtedly have marked it as the highlight of the season. More recently we watched 'Provenance' and I squirmed through much of it; it seemed ugly and very unplasant. His most recent show, named above, was much more tender and sweet, and had its moments.

But in the end it was marked by the fact that in the end he needs a writer.

Overall it was not a great season from Canadian Stage. The utter highlight was the shortest play, 'A Number'. I hope for better next year, but the presence on their schedule of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' made my heart sink. No doubt I can find friends to give my tickets to.

2 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger EclectEcon said...

You would give those tickets to friends? Surely you have some enemies you can foist them off on!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I have an, er, very eclectic group of friends. Surely one or two among them could suffer through such an experience, knowing what I would owe them as a result.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home