Sunday, June 18, 2006

Our Street in Paris and My Street at Home

I am now normally awakened at my home by birds; I noticed that this was no problem in Paris, and I thought about it. It took little thought.

Here is my street at home. The car in the foreground, mine, is right outside my bedroom window.

Here is the street we stayed on in Paris.

Note, though, that my street at home lacks a building like this, which is only the town hall of the local arrondissement:

... and an arch ...

dedicated to 'Ludovico Magno' (Big Louis, and if that sounds Mafioso-like, it should).
The street also included an amazing density of shops like this one:

It says it is selling clothing for kids, but we could not have bought anything there had we had kids to buy stuff for; believe it or not, that is a warehouse and there had to be thirty of them along our street. We were square in the middle of the textile industry. Nearby were sections of town devoted to wedding dresses, men's suits, etc. It was unprecedented to me.

But I have my sparrows and starlings here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home