Sunday, June 18, 2006

Fast Women of Paris - a Fashion Odyssey

One of the first things to stand out each of the last couple of times I have visited Paris is how often a Parisian women passes me on the sidewalk as if I were standing still, even though we are both walking (and I am not a complete slouch walking, though as a tourist I am likely rubber-necking and lolly-gagging somewhat). This delights me - one of the great magic movie moments is the opening of Truffaut's 'Vivement Dimanche', which features a long take of Fanny Ardant moving swiftly on foot through the streets of Paris. Sheer magic. And she was in high heels!
But, on my first day here, what leapt out at my eyes was that the standard Parisian woman's uniform today, at least in 15 degree (Celsius) weather, is not Ardant's in that take. 'Uniform' is too strong but there is an overwhelming pattern. Slacks or jeans, a blouse or turtleneck-like top, a jacket on top, with optional additional sweater, a scarf, and a handbag, preferably with the strap crossing the top diagonally, and sensible walking shoes.
So I set out to do some documentation; I found a couple of sites not likely to be populated by tourists, and chose the day when the Louvre was closed, and was careful to delete photos of anyone reading a map or accompanied by a man wearing an England t-shirt. I am pretty sure I also filtered out essentailly all tourists. I also did some paparazzi work in the neighbourhood we were in, where it is a safe bet you are not photographing a tourist.
Let's look at some of the results, in no special order. Be warned - this is a long piece of work. Moreover, the warmer day meant there were fewer scarves.
Let's start here as this is the ONE instance I found someone wearing the capri pants filling the store windows. Her shoes are not quite flat (seem to small platforms), but note that she has a baguette! By the way, my first impressions, with all the scarfs, were on a cold day; my day of research was in the mid-20s. (For the backward among you, all degrees are Celsius.)

The following shots were made on the stretch along the Chateau d'Eau to Rue Richer (as we headed from near the Gare de l'Est towards Rue Richelieu - this is not a hot tourist route, especially when the Louvre is closed).



OK now I just switched to a plaza where I could sit and look inconspicuous and set the camera on a bench and shoot people freshly off the Metro and heading for wherever they work (well, that seems likely where they are going).


Cargo Pants!!


Here is my plan. Let me post this and continue in a couple more posts. I did very extensive research, and we can spread it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home